Community Connections is an innovative volunteer driver program that provides door-through-door assisted transportation service to seniors and individuals with disabilities* who cannot easily use other transportation services. Community Connections encourages volunteer driver transportation for people who would otherwise be homebound and isolated.
The key to the program is providing mileage reimbursement for volunteers to transport individuals when the individual is too frail, ill or unable to use public transportation for other reasons.
Compared with those who still drive, older non-drivers make 15% fewer trips to the doctor, 59% fewer shopping trips and visits to restaurants, and 65% fewer trips for social, family, and religious activities.”
-American Public Transportation Association
Seniors and individuals with disabilities who reside in Claremont, La Verne, Pomona and San Dimas who need:
- assistance when traveling
- to travel outside the Get About Service area
* Definition of an Individual with a Disability:
An individual who, because of illness, injury, age, congenital malfunction, or other incapacity or temporary or permanent disability (including an individual who is a wheelchair user or has semi-ambulatory capability), cannot use effectively, without special facilities, planning, or design, public transportation service or a public transportation facility. 49 U.S.C. 5302(a)(5).
- Rides can be arranged to cities outside the scope of existing senior transportation programs and most importantly, across county lines
- Each trip can include multiple destinations
- Passengers recruit their own volunteer drivers from friends and neighbors that they already know and trust
- Volunteer drivers provide companionship and escorted rides to life-enriching and life-sustaining destinations
- Rides are scheduled by the passenger and the volunteer driver any time that is mutually convenient
- Passengers are empowered by reimbursing mileage to their volunteer driver
For more information call Monday - Friday
between 11:00 AM & 3:00 PM
141 Spring Street
Claremont, CA 91711
Community Connections is dependent on the generosity of local businesses and citizens. Your financial and in-kind support will ensure the continued success of the volunteer driver program to drive seniors and disabled individuals to life-enriching and life-sustaining destinations.
Coming soon: communityconnections-css.org
Community Connections is funded by:
- Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority in partnership with The Federal Transit Administration
- Pomona Valley Transportation Authority
- Community Senior Services
- Charitable Contributions